Sunday, July 31, 2011

Erin: Arriving in Chengdu


Well, today was a great day; we met the rest of the team, the Huamei staff, and the TAs. Everyone is so open to meeting new people and hearing about where you’re from and what you like to do. Since some of the team is from Switzerland and Germany, we’ve joked about how the Chinese students are going to have a funny accent—like Chinese/Swiss/German haha. It’s a little nerve racking to think about teaching these students and not really knowing what to expect, but we know that God will take care of everything and the Chinese students will understand what we teach in the way that God wants them to. Some of the best parts of the day were practicing camp songs with the teachers, especially “Respect”. Katherine and I were probably the only people in the room who sounded so ridiculous, but I guess everyone liked it =] --or maybe they were just laughing at us... The TAs did a “fashion show” today so that we could remember what not to wear at camp, and it was so exciting to see how they act in a classroom setting and how fun they can be. We’re all still getting used to the time difference here, and it doesn’t help that the beds are SO HARD! Its upsetting sometimes when you wake up in the middle of the night wide awake and the beds only make it harder to try to fall back asleep. Also, mom if you’re reading this I’ve already spilled two drinks on the trip—my water on Jonathan (Jingle) on the plane, and most of my oreo milkshake on myself this evening, I know…typical me haha.

4 comments:

  1. Clearly I should have warned the team about your spilling Erin! Loosing the oreo milkshake is most distressing but I'll send up a fervent prayer that you will be able to get another one before you leave China.
    We just got back from church and it was an awesome morning. One of the Tunisian Pastor's was here to give the message which was really amazing (ask about it when you get home), and we got to pray for the team leaving for Benin tomorrow morning. So many people asked about you all and said they are praying for you and your work. I'll remind people to pray for your sleep also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like the fashion show idea, and the different accents; cleaver. Didn't know Chinese beds were hard; maybe to sleep less and work harder! Mom didn't mention that we had lunch with the Tunisian couple; very informative. Well, get some rest - and be sure to keep Mr. Burklin in line. Remember China is his home country. Praying for God's provision and protection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids will love to hear you sing. It is natural for them to share songs...I can still hear them singing Peng You. :) Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I'm afraid you got the spilling problem from me. Sorry! Just make sure there is a space around you so that no one else gets spilled on. I am praying for you daily!

    ReplyDelete